William D. Dallas is an experienced litigator with over 30 years of experience in civil litigation and arbitration. Mr. Dallas has been given the highest rating as an AV Preeminent Attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, one of the most respected national rating services for attorneys. Mr. Dallas has tried over 50 cases, including several jury trials, in both state and federal courts, and in arbitration.
He has experience in complex litigation involving commercial business and real estate transactions, breach of contract, fraud, declaratory judgment and specific performance. Mr. Dallas has won numerous cases, both jury and non jury, in a wide array of litigation matters, and has obtained one of the largest dollar settlements in a civil rights case for a public employee against Cook County.
He has been a faculty member with the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education on issues of practice before federal courts. Mr. Dallas has been active with legal aid organizations, having handled numerous matters for Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS) and Lawyers for the Creative Arts, and has earned a 15 year award from CVLS. During law school, Mr. Dallas was an intern with the Illinois Attorney General's Office Environmental Control Division.
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Real Estate and Business Transactions
- Supreme Court of the State of Illinois, 1984
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1984
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar, 1985
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, 1985
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Trial Lawyers' Association
- B.A., University of Minnesota, 1981
- J.D., DePaul University College of Law, 1984
- Faculty member with the Illinois Institute for continuing Legal Education, Ethics for Federal Practice, June 2013
- Here is a description of just some of the matters Mr. Dallas has handled:
- Defeated claims by director and others of closely held corporation to breach by Co-Director and Shareholder.
- Successfully defended national hinge manufacturer at arbitration of breach of contract claims by Missouri national manufacturer of hinge products in which the claimant was denied all recovery.
- Successfully represented Hedge Fund against public company which improperly withheld turnover of over a million shares in publicly traded stock.
- Represented International not-for-profit in Board of Director disputes and election issues
- Representing landowner in dispute with real estate developer over $33 million Chicago West Loop property.
- Representing former director of failed Chicago financial institution in case brought by shareholders and FDIC in Federal District Court.
- Obtained verdict piercing corporate veil at trial against shareholder of corporation and successfully collected judgment previously entered against the corporation.
- Defeated in whole a $350,000 fee petition by a large Chicago law firm against his client.
- Successfully represented Chicago wine distributor in claims against international wine maker for breach of exclusive distribution agreement.
- Successfully prosecuted large mechanic's lien claim against national leasing company for work done on Chicagoland office building.
- Successfully represented periodontist in shareholder dispute with large Chicagoland dental group to obtain buyout of client's interest against false claims by dental group of improprieties and lack of care by periodontist.
- Successfully defended Bank against Borrower claims of fraud, violation of lending laws and breach of contract.
- Successfully represented Tenant North American Manufacturing and Marketing Arm of Multi National Company in Lease Breaking Dispute
- Obtained an Arbitration Award of $575,000 in favor of Estate of a deceased partner in a real estate venture based on claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty that had occurred over 15 years prior to the arbitration that two other law firms, one a large Chicago firm, had declined to accept due to the difficulties with the case
- Represented landowner in lease transaction with Bank of America for a new bank branch in Naperville, IL.
- Represented landowner in lease transaction with Amcore Bank for a new bank branch in Mt. Prospect, IL.
- Represented landowner in $25 million complex sale and deed back of completed parking garage in downtown Chicago.
- Represented landowner in exchange transaction of downtown Chicago commercial real estate with DePaul University.
- Represented landowner in sale of $10 million Gold Coast property.
- Represented condominium developer owner in sale of $11 million Gold Coast property to condominium developer.
- Represented landowner in lease of industrial space in southwest Chicago to truck storage and repair facility.
- Represented owner in lease of Gold Coast property to expanding coffee and tea retailer.
- Represented tenant in lease of property in Chicago loop from DePaul University.
- Represented National Manufacturer of hinge products in purchase of the manufacturing division of a competing national manufacturer.
- Represented Owner in lease of suburban facility to YMCA.
- Retained as expert witness for tenant in lease dispute between property owner and national restaurant chain tenant.
- Represented bank in $13 million hotel loan in foreclosure and workout, and through combination of litigation and transaction structure was able to save client in excess of $500,000 in delinquent taxes owed by borrower.
- Represented residential real estate developer in purchase of $48 million parcel of vacant land in suburban Chicagoland.
- Represented National Drug Store chain in zoning request before Cook County Zoning Board.
- Represented national transport company in acquisition of new truck terminal near O'Hare Airport and obtained zoning for use before the Cook County Zoning Board.
- Represented bank in purchase of bank branch facility in suburban Chicagoland.
- Represented bank as tenant in lease of bank branch facility in Naperville, IL.
- Represented Owner in lease transaction with Bank for suburban Chicago location.
- Represented Chicago based Marketing Company in multi-million dollar merger and acquisition transaction
- Represented software technology and ecommerce Company in $20 million + merger and acquisition with venture capital firm
- O'Brien v. Quad Six, Inc., 219 F.Supp.2d 933 (N.D.Ill., Jul. 22, 2002) (NO. 02 C 657)
- Harding v. Rosewell, 22 F.Supp.2d 806 (N.D.Ill., Sep. 29, 1998)(NO. 96 C 2615)
- Bacon v. Art Institute of Chicago, 6 F.Supp.2d 762, 79 Fair Empl.Prac.Cas. (BNA) 971 (N.D.Ill. May 01, 1998)(NO. 96 C 3584)
- Athens v. Harris Trust and Sav. Bank, 297 Ill.App.3d 1055, 697 N.E.2d 909, 232 Ill.Dec. 167 (Ill.App. 1 Dist., Jun. 30, 1998)(NO. 1-97-1941)
- Joseph Frazier, D.D.S. and George D. Dallas, D.D.S. v. Dettman, 212 Ill.App.3d 139, 569 N.E.2d 1382, 155 Ill.Dec. 771, 6 IER Cases 726 (Ill.App. 2 Dist., Apr. 10, 1991)NO. 2-90-1271, 2-90-1272)
Connect With Attorney Bill Dallas: